[lbo-talk] Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 22:23:03 PST 2006

chuck at mutualaid.org wrote:

>>I'm with you on this. The problem is that way too many leftists look down
>>on anything relating to lifestyle, sports, entertainment, etc. This is
>>uncomfortable to these cultural puritans,

Yes, I know. Sigh. I used to peddle a Trotskyist newspaper door to door. Reading it was like watching paint dry -- an endless stream cliches clothed in self-righteousness. Very, very badly written. Not proofread. Will never forget the article that reported that Hitler invaded Poland looking for more "Liebestraum." Indeed.

My sales were good but that's because I was exquisitely polite, smiled kindly, and used to be quite attractive.

>>but many of us have interests
>>beyond some narrow range of leftist entertainers.

Well, yeah. Cause we're human beings. Creating a leftist newspaper that has everything in it -- yes even ads ....for restaurants, movies, music, books, etc., -- would be a great way to give people the sense that another kind of life is right there for the taking. I would love to have columns that would ask working class people how businesses could be run if they were run for the actual benefit of customers rather than for profit maximization. I would love to have articles to help people stretch their money without sacrificing their health or safety. I would love to have a "working class" view of the world that wasn't just about anger and victimization.

It's amazing to me that the "homeless" newspapers that people sell so it doesn't look like begging don't have ANY information in them that could help the homeless or those predisposed to help them: like where do you make donations? where are the good shelters? where are the good soup kitchens? what do you need to say to get benefits? what benefits are available?

No. That would be too helpful. Instead, always this unending litany about misery, misery, and more misery. Like we don't know.

Aaaagh,

Joanna