[lbo-talk] Sistani, Elections, and Sectarianism (was Poll: They really don't want us there)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 08:42:02 PDT 2006

I think the number of world leaders who are "sociopaths" is close to zero. I do not think even Hitler was a sociopath. I have met one person in my life who I think was probably a sociopath, and I do not think he had the discipline to make it to manager of a shoe store, much less a country.

The fact of the matter is that in the real world there are sometimes occasions where you have to be violent as the perceived lesser of an evil or as part of your job description, and still get to sleep at night afterward. To do otherwise would be irresponsible, actually. But this no more makes them "sociopaths" than generals are psychopathic killers. I think this is kind of obvious.

joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

>>Tony Soprano is a fictional character; heads of
>>state are real people
>>dealing with real events in real time.
>>

>I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

I'm trying to say that fictional characters are much more deliniated, black and white, than real life characters...

>Do you mean it's wrong to make a comparison between
>the behavior of a fictional sociopath and real-life
>ones? Or more generally that allusions to works of
>fiction, art, music etc. should be left out when
>discussing political topics?
>

>>Communism is a word that doesn't mean jack shit
>>until people try to make
>>something real; when they do, you evaluate the
>>outcome.
>>

>Is there a movement or group of peoples on earth
right
>now that you think is striving for communism?

The indigenous people of Chiapas?