Chiapas (Re: [lbo-talk] Sistani, Elections, and Sectarianism (was Poll: They really don't want us there)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 10:18:32 PDT 2006

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to say that fictional characters are much
> more deliniated,
> black and white,
> than real life characters...

I think I agree, but I think it's problematic in the case of Tony Soprano. I picked him as an example because he seems to be a good case of the sort of sociopathic behavior engendered by the society of generalized commodity production, while still retaining some moral ambiguity (he cares about his kids, ducks, a horse, etc.)

I am not for demonizing heads of state as evil individuals or attributing the ills of capitalism to personal misdeeds. Just trying to say that statecraft is something that by its very definition requires thuggish behavior.

> The indigenous people of Chiapas?

I know pretty much nothing about Chiapas, so I will have to hold back. I have enjoyed what I've read by Subcommandante Marcos, but until I can read a serious, well-sourced study of Chiapas, I can't really say one way or another. The Zapatistas are an object of admiration for European autonomists, I should note. And I really love John Holloway's book, _Change the World Without Taking Power_, and he seems very inspired by Zapatismo.