[lbo-talk] Israeli Übermenschen

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 1 18:43:59 PDT 2006

James Heartfield wrote:

> The Israel = fascism equation is pretty daft, in my view.
>
> Israeli policies are certainly racially discriminatory, and lead to
> mass killings, but a check-list approach to definitions won't help.
>
> What is missing in the equation is that Israel, unlike Nazi Germany,
> is not author if its destiny, but a dependent state, that would be
> incapable of acting without US, and yes, European sponsorship.

But, but, but.... Israel aspired to exactly this kind of dependency, knowing that it could not come in as a Middle East overlord in any other way. So in that sense, it is the author of its destiny because it defined itself in the service of the Ottoman turks (potentially...offer rejected), of the British empire, and finally of the U.S. It sought to indemnify the jewish "race" in the eyes of the powers-that-be by taking on the task of ruling the unruly sand n-words and demonstrated then and now a racism toward Arabs that could very neatly be put side by side with the Nazi policies toward the jews.

If you read Herzel's original writings...and the writings of all the Zionist founding fathers...you will meet in all of them a hatred and contempt for the Jewish race that echoes a lot of the worst kind of European anti-semitism. Zionism is both a reaction and an incarnation of that strain. The Middle East was to be the crucible within which the jews could redeeem themselves as described above.

I will already anticipate those who will write back and say that this is "history" and that the modern Zionist state is no longer motivated by these feelings and ideas. To which I say, it doesn't matter. It's in the air. It has been over 150 years since the American "frontier" has closed, yet the notion of manifest destiny and of democratizing the wilds still provides the mythical fuel of every act of U.S. aggression in the world. And while it is true that the western frontier is ten score dead, everybody watching FOX news, is still trekking west.

Joanna