[lbo-talk] iPod Politics

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Sat Sep 2 12:41:21 PDT 2006

On Sep 2, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> True enough, though it will play AIFF files if you don't mind using
> all that space. But what does it cost to be an audiophile these days?
> Last time I checked, it was like $10,000. My new 60 gig iPod now has
> over 9,000 songs on it, with plenty of space remaining, and it would
> take almost 31 days to play the contents from beginning (2 Live Crew)
> to end (The Zutons). And it sounds pretty damned good.

I only have a 10 gig hand me down from my big brother, so have had to stick to encoding my files as AACs. The best fidelity short of AIFF is Apple Lossless, which is essentially half to 30 percent the size of an average AIFF or WAV. file.

> Only if you've got noise-cancelling headphones! I wish it would drown
> out the awful "musicians" in the subway.

I six and a half years ago, I spent about 400$ on a pair of Sony studio headphones to mix the last Christal Methodists record with. I think they're being marketed as DJ remix headphones now for around 200$. best noise canceling, hi-fi headphones on the market under 500$ - good enough to make a decent sounding record with and wear out if you don't mind the size.

Joel