[lbo-talk] Atrios on Brad Delong's Reality-Based Technocrats

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Sep 3 20:31:18 PDT 2006

"The aim of governance, I think, is to achieve a rough consensus among the reality-based technocrats and then to frame the issues in a way that attracts the ideologues on one (or, ideally, both) wings in order to create an effective governing coalition."

I wonder what "reality-based" is a euphemism for; I suspect it's TINA.

But if I may paraphrase the above: "First we (white wonks who have made it to the top of the meritocracy) agree on what to do, then we spin it in a way that the stupider ideologues can understand and use, so that the even stupider populace can be led to believe that they are freely choosing their fate."

New improved democracy?

Joanna