[lbo-talk] from Angelus on not seeing

abu hartal abuhartal at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 3 20:50:41 PDT 2006

I agree that much ugly anti Semitism is often implicit in absurd talk about the tyranny of Israel over the hapless US. I am even unpersuaded (and disturbed) by such a careful analysis as Walt and Mearsheimer's. I am wondering whether anyone can point Angelus Novus to the best reports on the topics he asks about. Abu Hartal

Hello abu hartal,

I am writing to you offlist because I have already exceeded the posting limits on lbo-talk and I don't want to upset the moderator.

I would appreciate links to the instances of discrimination against Arabs within Israel mentioned below. I don't doubt that this happens, but it would be helpful to have some documentation, since this is a point that comes up when I discuss Israel with people. The Pro-Israel sources I know claim that this does not happen or is exaggerated, so I would appreciate any references from the "other side."

As for "not seeing," there is probably much that I do not see, since I do not live in Israel or the occupied territories and therefore have no idea what goes on daily. Contra the assertions of other list members, I am neither a troll nor a Zionist, just a communist who sees a potential for populist anti-semitism in over-emphasizing the crimes of the Israeli state to the exclusion of a generalized critique of state and capital.

As I stated before on the list, Israel is not my favorite topic of discussion, and I'd much rather talk about critique of political economy, but I cannot control my impulse to post when somebody is making arguments that I think drift towards anti-semitism.

P.S. Links from human rights groups, mainstream newspapers etc I would prefer. I am not saying that left-wing sources are tainted and dishonest, just that I prefer to separate the facts from polemic as far as this goes.

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/