[lbo-talk] Locals Call For Expulsion Of Chechens In Northern Russia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 09:43:50 PDT 2006

It's not "northern Russia," it's one town near Finland. Northern Russia extends from Estonia to Alaska. From what I've read, it's not Chechens, but Caucasians in general, they want out (though Chechens would be the primary target).

I'm surprised to learn that the Chechen diaspora up there is so large. Karelia's not an economic powerhouse. Maybe they get some spillover from the Finns.

The head of Karelia, according to KP. is stating that this has "no ethnic character," which strikes me as a bit odd:

Ãëàâà Êàðåëèè Ñåðãåé Êàòàíàíäîâ ðàñöåíèë ìàññîâûå áåñïîðÿäêè â Êîíäîïîãå êàê áûòîâîé êîíôëèêò è ïðèçâàë íå ïðèäàâàòü èì ýòíè÷åñêîé îêðàñêè.

«Ìû íå äîïóñòèì ðàçäóâàíèÿ óãîëîâíîãî ïðåñòóïëåíèÿ â ýòíè÷åñêèé êîíôëèêò, - çàÿâèë Êàòàíàíäîâ. - Ìû âûÿñíèì, êòî ñòîèò çà ýòèìè ñîáûòèÿìè, è íå äîïóñòèì ðàçæèãàíèÿ ìåæíàöèîíàëüíîé ðîçíè. Áàíäèò íàöèîíàëüíîñòè íå èìååò».

Ïðè ýòîì îí, ïðàâäà, ïðèçíàë, ÷òî «ñèòóàöèÿ â Êîíäîïîãå âîçíèêëà íå íà ïóñòîì ìåñòå, íàïðÿæåíèå íàêàïëèâàëîñü».