[lbo-talk] End of American Dream

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 19:28:06 PDT 2006

Wages not keeping up with productivity? Bush says we need to cut more taxes, and also that he likes it when people work for a living. He also freely riffed off the top of his head about foreign oil. Some real wisdom here:

Bush says tax cuts helping workers

By Caren Bohan Mon Sep 4, 4:11 PM ET [...]

"We ought to make the tax relief permanent. I like it when people are working for a living, have more after-tax money in their pocket," Bush said as he marked Labor Day by touring a maritime training center on Maryland's southern shoreline.

"To make sure that we're the economic leader of the world, we got to keep taxes low," he added.

Bush was courting members of the Seafarers International Union, whose leadership has maintained friendly ties with him, in contrast to many U.S. unions' support for Democrats.

Bush told the workers it was clear that "dependence on foreign oil jeopardizes our capacity to grow."

"I mean, the problem is we get oil from some parts of the world and they simply don't like us. And so the more dependent we are on that type of energy, the less likely it will be that we are able to compete, and so people have good, high-paying jobs."

[...]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060904/pl_nm/bush_dc

joanna wrote:

"Productivity grows; wages fall... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5303590.stm "