[lbo-talk] cleansing Iran

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 12:23:06 PDT 2006

> [Elsewhere, Iran's leading defender on the Western left, Yoshie F,
> has claimed that Ahmadinejad does not plan to do what he says he'd
> like to do, unless AFP is just making this up.]

Or perhaps you are being more over the top -- "cleansing Iran"! -- than AFP?

You also contradict yourself: "You ignored my point that the regime is not Ahmadinejad, and whatever his personal virtues, he lacks the resources to deliver on his populist agenda and is subordinated to a wretched power elite" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060821/044615.html>).

> <http://www.metimes.com/articles/normal.php?
> StoryID=20060905-073114-2591r>
>
> Ahmadinejad vows to rid schools of liberal influence
> Hiedeh Farmani
> AFP
> September 5, 2006
<snip>
> "A student must yell against liberal thoughts and the liberal
> economy. A student must ask why a secular teacher gives low marks to
> a student that does not have the same ideas as him," he said.
<snip>
> In June some 40 professors at Tehran University were forced into
> early retirement. The government said that the time had come for the
> long-serving academics to leave their posts.
<snip>
> Iran has also launched a fresh crackdown against "decadent" satellite
> television, raiding rooftops in Tehran and other major cities to
> seize hundreds of dishes.
>
> However pre-election fears that the president, in power for more than
> a year, would launch a radical clampdown on social liberties have not
> been realized.

A little underwhelming compared to what's happening under the US occupation in Iraq -- "Since February, nearly 180 professors have been killed and at least 3,250 have fled Iraq to neighbouring countries, according to the Ministry of Higher Education" (IRIN, "IRAQ: Threatened Teachers Fleeing the Country," 24 Aug 2006, <http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/9c65cf0098d9fd852b6cc81cfa749748.htm>) -- and the rest of the Middle East that is largely governed by the pro-Washington regimes, as well as Iran's own past under Khatami, Rafsanjani, Khamenei, etc. as its presidents. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>