[lbo-talk] Zakaria on Iran

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 5 15:22:27 PDT 2006

>To review a bit of history: in 1938, Adolf Hitler launched what
>became a world war not merely because he was evil but because he was
>in complete control of the strongest country on the planet.

This is quite false, and not mainly because Germany was far from the "strongest country on the planet"--France and Russia had bigger military forces, the Royal Navy ruled the seas, and, of course, the rapidly mobilizable military/industrial base of the USA dwarfed Germany's. No, the big falsehood is that of Hitler's "complete control." The reality is that the leadership of the Reichswehr despised Hitler, opposed his open bellicosity, and was ready to overthrow him the moment he acted on his public commitment to order mobilization against Czechoslovakia (the "Oster Conspiracy"). The British Cabinet had been informed of this by the Oster group. But, at Berchtesgaden and then Munich, Neville Chamberlain saved Hitler's bacon by betraying the Czechs (and their French and Russian allies). I am convinced that Chamberlain did this not because of illusions about "peace in our time through appeasement" but because he was terrified that the answer to the question *After Hitler--What?* would be a revolutionary one.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...It consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos