[lbo-talk] Kinky Friedman, jackass

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 10:12:52 PDT 2006

Yeah, this is absurd. Unfortunately it will probably, cheaply, get him a lot of votes from white, suburban Texas (i.e Plano). I remember when O'Reilly belligerently cowed him into saying on national TV he'd deploy a lot more border guards to Mexico. Maybe that really had some kind of effect on him.

The attitude among white suburbanites in Texas seems to be "Well, maybe Rick Perry isn't so hot, but I'd vote for anything besides a Democrat." Ann Richards, a Dem, only won governorship because of her GOP opponents' jokes about rape.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Friedman touts proposals for border security

He calls for 10,000 guardsmen and upsets some with evacuee comments

By KRISTEN MACK AND GARY SCHARRER Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News

Texas should deploy 10,000 state National Guard troops to the border and issue special worker cards for immigrants, gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman said Wednesday as part of his "Keep It Simple, Stupid Politician" plan. "