[lbo-talk] GOP turns it up: They Want To Kill Us

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 7 14:55:15 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The conservative organization "Progress for America" is slated to have
> a 1:00 pm ET press conference to announce a TV ad buy, Internet
> campaign, and other grassroots activity reminding Americans about "the
> reason for the War on Terror." This comes in the wake of President Bush
> making major speeches on the topic this week. It should be Noted that
> PFA has recruited the father of Flight 93's Todd Beamer, David Beamer,
> as its spokesman for this announcement. The ad — the full script has
> not yet been released — is entitled, "They Want To Kill Us."

I recently bought the DVD of "V for Vendetta" and proceeded to watch the excellent film for the second time last night. It just struck me how the current U.S. government will go to such *transparent* lengths to create fear about terrorism.

What the Republicans plan to do in the next two months isn't suprising, but the complicity of the Democrats in the new terror hysteria is inexcusable. They'll talk about how they will fight the "War on Terror" better, not on how the "war" is a bunch of bullshit to begin with. The American radical left hasn't been much better. We've seen protests against the Iraq War, but very little opposition to the "War on Terror."

Oh, Cockburn redeemed himself in my eyes with that excellent attack on 9/11 conspiracists.

Chuck