[lbo-talk] Watching Bush on tv tonight...

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 07:16:15 PDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Okay, the Boston Globe announces:
>
> ``President Bush has acknowledged for the first time the CIA has been
> operating a secret network of overseas prisons. Bush made the
> admission as he ordered 14 prisoners previously held by the CIA to be
> transferred ... prisoners includes Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, alleged
> mastermind of the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001; Abu Zubaydah [see Cole
> quote above], a key link between Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda
> operatives; and Ramzi Binalshibh, a would-be Sept. 11 hijacker.''
>
> Fourteen? You mean after scouring the entire earth for five years with
> every police, national security, military, legal, illegal and
> electronic means available, including some completely imaginary tricks
> we invented especially for this purpose, we have exactly fourteen bad
> guys? Fourteen guys so bad, we can't tell you all their names or what
> they did.
>
> Well, I stand corrected.

Washington actually knows that Al Qaeda is not what it makes it out to be -- a hierarchical organization with top-down command structure -- in its propaganda theater:

(07-04) 04:00 PDT Washington -- The CIA has closed down a secret unit that for a decade had the mission of hunting Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants, intelligence officials said Monday.

The terrorist tracking unit, known inside the spy agency as "Alec station," was disbanded late last year and its analysts reassigned to other offices within the CIA's Counterterrorist Center, the officials said.

The decision is a milestone of sorts for the agency, which created the unit before Osama bin Laden became a household name and bolstered its ranks after the Sept. 11 attacks, when President Bush pledged to bring bin Laden to justice "dead or alive."

The realignment reflects a view that al Qaeda is no longer as hierarchical as it once was, intelligence officials said, as well as growing concern about al Qaeda-inspired groups that have begun carrying out attacks independent of bin Laden and his top deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri. . . .

Page A - 4 URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/07/04/MNGAHJOS611.DTL </blockquote> -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>