[lbo-talk] 9/11 nuttery

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 8 10:22:22 PDT 2006

ravi wrote:

Your response is to (implicitly) call them
> nuts, equating error with idiocy (this too, Dwayne, is what I mean by
> scientism).

I agree that it is wrong to equate error with personal deficiency of any kind. But my concern here is your gradual expansion of "scientism" to a label for all that is evil. It reminds me of one of the worst assignments I ever gave for a freshman paper. I asked them to define "thougtlessness." By the time they were done it would no longer have been necessary to have any other negative word in the English language. Thoughtlessness covered everything from picking your nose to genocide. Your use of scientism seems to be approaching that status.

Carrol