[lbo-talk] Oil Is A Renewable Resource! Take That, You Peaksters!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 11:51:46 PDT 2006

Yeah it's really weird that the apparent discovery of unplumbed oil depths in the Gulf of Mexico has sent many right-wing bloggers into fits of "Fuck yeah! Suck on it, Mid East!" While they pump their fists.

I saw some maps, looks like this supposed oil field is *really* far out there. Anyway, the right-leaning blogs seem to love this find. Very weird, very policy-wonk nerdy, and also very creepy. But it's mostly embarrassing to anyone who's crowing about it (AN OIL FIELD! YESSSSS!!!). I don't see how it changes anything, really. It's 2006, we're using fossil fuel powered combustible engines, etc. So there's a new oil field. Why do some receive this as a message from God? Man.

-B.

mike larkin wrote:

"http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn10152005.html

"And increasingly, I don't believe we're about to run out of oil. I hang my hat on the views of Dr.Thomas Gold (founding director of Cornell University Center for Radiophysics) as outlined in his 1999 book, The Deep Hot Biosphere."