[lbo-talk] "Idiocracy"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 13:04:58 PDT 2006

Seems like recently there's an influx of great movies I have to see: _CSA:_The_Confederate_States_of_America, _A_Scanner_Darkly_, that new British movie about George Bush being assassinated, _Army_of_Shadows_, _Little_Miss_Sunshine_, and now, of course, this.

What's weird is I've known folks here in Texas, where _Office_Space_ was filmed, who are Republican and yet who love that movie. That's remarkable to me because that movie has very anti-racist, pro-working class undertones.

Sidenote: Mike Judge apparently learned to do animation by looking at books from the Richardson public library, which is about 10 miles from me. The "King of the Hill" city of Arlen is apparently based on Garland, a satellite city of Dallas, also about 10 miles from here.

-B.

Carl Remick wrote:

"I'm a big fan of Mike Judge's TV show "King of the Hill" and was surprised to see that 20th Century Fox has decided to go virtually direct-to-video with Judge's new movie "Idiocracy" (after keeping it in the can for two years) and not give it much of a theatrical release. The NY Times suggests Fox didn't like the movie because of a supposed anti-populist tone -- the NYT in fact describes it as "a cautionary tale about low-intelligence dysgenics (essentially, overbreeding among the stupid)."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/09/business/09online.html

I haven't seen the movie, but based on the Hollywood Reporter's review (excerpted below), the film sounds more anti-capitalist than anti-populist.