[lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 14:07:12 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> wrote:
> My questions:
>
> were there traditional bagels that were salt covered?
> is it wrong for me to be a traditionalist in regard to bagels?
> What do people think of current bagels?
> Can people cite similar crimes against other ethnic foods? (Chinese
> restaurants up here in Szechuan Valley are terrible, but they are
> Chinese-operated, so this deterioration can't be seen as an attack by other
> ethnics.)

I've just gone looking for Dan Savage's famous column in which he goes off on a tangent about bacon bagels, but I can't find it anywhere.

As for crimes against other ethnic foods, try what passes for "Mexican" in Europe! I think the vilest example of this I ever came across - and believe me, the competition is fierce - was in a British cookbook with a recipe for tacos using BAKED beans.

Also, Chinese takeaway food is inedible here, always a stinky mass of soggy vegetables with undercooked chips on the side.

Doug wrote:

> H&H are too doughy, but they dominate my neck of the woods.

There's a shop here in Dublin which imports H&H. Compared to the indigenous version of "bagels" - I use that word loosely - they're a godsend.