[lbo-talk] 9/11 plot denialists are nuttier

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 16:07:02 PDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:

> So, _his_ alternative explanation to the angel is that the Gospel writers
> made it up. So, if he thinks the Gospel writers made it up, why would _he_
> use this as an example of an non-conspiracy theory ?

The original "conspiracy" narrative was and is God. It is the need for an ultimate explanation, an explanatory need that pre-exists the evidence and determines what is seen, evidence that leads to this kind of thinking.

Personally, when I confront people such as Peter Dale Scott or David Ray Griffin they seem to think along superstitious lines. It all reminds me of Umberto Eco's writings on the origins of the Protocols of Zion (see _Six Walks in the Fictional Woods_ chap 6) or his novel _Foucault's Pendulum_. One can also see the same conspiratorial-explanatory mindset at work in the novels of Eugene Sue.

What is suspicious about people such as PDS and DRG from the start is that they use their stories to explain all of the evils of the Bush regime. That is the purpose of the conspiracy theories. If you talk to these people and read what they write that is what it comes down to . In the place of ruling classes and the capitalist system they substitute the grand conspiracy of history. And this happens over and over again.

Jerry Monaco