[lbo-talk] America, laggard nation

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 16:23:46 PDT 2006

> [Full reports at <http://www.highereducation.org/>.]
>
> New York Times - September 7, 2006
>
> Report Finds U.S. Students Lagging in Finishing College
> By TAMAR LEWIN
>
> The United States, long the world leader in higher education, has
> fallen behind other nations in its college enrollment and completion
> rates, as the affordability of American colleges and universities has
> declined, according to a new report.
>
> The study, from the National Center for Public Policy and Higher
> Education, found that although the United States still leads the
> world in the proportion of 35- to 64-year-olds with college degrees,
> it ranks seventh among developed nations for 25- to 34-year-olds. On
> rates of college completion, the United States is in the lower half
> of developed nations.

More evidence that our ruling class is decadent, short sighted, venal, and stupid. Unfortunately it is also exceedingly powerful. A dangerous combination. The only thing that holds our ruling class up is that the rest of us let them screw us over. Sorry for this cry of pain, but every time I read something like this I realize how nuts I ma for sitting at home or at work reading and writing instead of trying to throw these bastards into the dust heap of history.

Well....

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060909/cbcd1d4c/attachment.htm>