[lbo-talk] Oil Is A Renewable Resource! Take That, You Peaksters!

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Sep 9 17:30:17 PDT 2006

>> this planet burns more dung for fuel than it does oil.
>
> Not according to the EIA
> http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/international/iealf/table18.xls
>
> world Petro consumption 2004 167.5 quad
> World primary energy consumption 2004 283.629 quad
>
> So petroleum alone in 59%.

Oil is far more dense in energy than dung (somewhere between 3x and 4x), and anyway I'm not talking about quads produced as a result; I'm talking about actual amounts. And those EIA numbers don't capture a lot of the residential dung burning (which is a big part of it, if not the majority).

> Around 14% of world energy consumption comes from biomass
> http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/RENEW/Biomass/BiomassHome.shtml

And close to 50% of the airborne particulates do too.

-----

Since you brought up the EIA, I'll give this link as something that I enjoyed and "agree" with.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/carbonemiss/introduction.html

/jordan