[lbo-talk] bagels/ethnicity

utopia1 at attglobal.net utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sat Sep 9 20:24:51 PDT 2006

Well, Doug, first of all the question that I raised to which you are responding was whether pizza is in decline. I don't think that makes me the codger you mention. (The same for Chinese food on the upper West Side. I might add that the same laws seem to be applying to Indian food.)

As to your remark that food in the US is "a million times better than it was 30-35 years ago": unqualified and uncomplex, this remark falls apart immediately. (It didn't make it here through cyberspace, so I had to use a secret technique to resonstruct it.) We all know the ample evidence of the improvement in American tastes, "slow food," New Paltz, Union Square, etc. But we also know about the collapse of the American diet, the quality of fast food, the corruption of the food supply, etc. It's hardly a conservative longing for some past golden age to point these things out. (Where do you manage to buy edible chicken?) I leave you to quantify all this, and to figure out how it all adds up to a million-fold improvement.

Jesse