[lbo-talk] Russia and Iran

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 10 04:39:32 PDT 2006

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

> I consider the Washington-Riyadh-Tel-Aviv-Tokyo axis
> to be a clear and
> present danger to many peoples of the world.

The Washington-Riyadh-Tel-Aviv-Tokyo axis is a clear and present danger to itself, if Washington and Tel-Aviv's debacles in Iraq and Lebanon are any indication.

The "axis" seems to be running head-on into the limits of its power.

>that will
> also improve the
> balance of social forces inside each axis country.

But significantly damage the potential for emancipatory forces in non-axis countries, by feeding dangerous illusions about the EU.

Rifondazione Communista already votes to sustain Italian troops in Afghanistan. Imagine if Red-Green were still in power in Berlin. Or if Gysi and Lafontaine manage to form a government with the SPD in a few years time. The Linkspartei.PDS already made it clear a few years ago during debates about Kosovo that it is not opposed to military interventions in principle.

Gerhard Schroeder managed to win an election entirely on the basis of anti-Iraq war positioning. The consequences of that were the Hartz IV reforms. The CDU-SPD grand coalition is the best thing to happen for oppositional movements, if the mobilization for Heiligendamm in 2007 is any indication. People have to taste that the EU is no alternative. Merkel helps to make it more obvious.