[lbo-talk] 9/11 nuttery going mainstream

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sun Sep 10 10:20:53 PDT 2006

double bluff wrote:

> 42% Believe in 9/11 Coverup in National Zogby Poll

The poll question:

"Some people believe that the US government and its 9/11 Commission concealed or refused to investigate critical evidence that contradicts their official explanation of the September 11th attacks, saying there has been a cover-up. Others say that the 9/11 Commission was a bi-partisan group of honest and well-respected people and that there is no reason they would want to cover-up anything. Who are you more likely to agree with?"

Yeah, well, "cover-up" doesn't necessarily equate to teams of ninjas fastening thermite bombs up against the columns in the elevator cores of the WTC like that wild stuff you see all over www.st911.org. I for example very, very strongly doubt that WTC was destroyed by controlled demolition, or that an air-to-surface missile, not a commercial airliner, is what struck the Pentagon. I'm just barely enough of an agnostic not to dismiss the inside-job conspiracy altogether but I don't believe it nearly enough to act as though I did.

On the other hand, returning to the poll question, was or was not the 9/11 Commission made up of honest men? Stop laughing! Did the government conceal anything in the 9/11 Commission's report? All signs point to "yes," for the same reason we're sure the sun will rise tomorrow morning: it has never failed to rise any day in the past ever, just as this Administration has never once been observed telling the public the unvarnished truth about any important issue.

Not that it isn't the case that all administrations lie, of course, but usually they try to be all clever about it. But these guys seem to get frat-boy glee out of boldly lying about facts you can check, as if to say my big stupid lie can kick your honor student's lie's ass. For example, they'll claim that Congressional Budget Office deficit projections show the budget will be balanced by, say, ten years from today, and then they argue that that's why certain tax cuts should be extended. So you google up the CBO and see that the projection where the deficit gets zeroed out assumes that those tax cuts are terminated; if they are extended then the projected deficit ten years from now will be even worse than last year.

Now I think they do stuff like that just for the pleasure of knowing how types like Krugman and DeLong are going to get apoplectic when they see it. But the proven fact is: they lie about big things, they lie about little things, they lie about nothing things apparently for the pleasure of lying, they lie and lie and lie and whenever caught they lie again and claim they never uttered the previous lie.

What about 9/11 are they covering up? I don't know and neither do you. Is there a cover-up? Does a bear shit in the woods?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net