[lbo-talk] the view from capital

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Sep 11 07:57:54 PDT 2006

I am not sure that is what you were on about but I am sure that that was partly the point Joanna was making. And her point that the poor are poor because they lack power is well taken. If every poor person were to get a degree tomorrow a degree tomorrow would not be worth what it is today. Hence the analogy to the scenario where every person were given a million dollars. The role of education in distribution is the function of differential power in relation to ones society. Like steroids in sport: it is only an advantage to the first movers. Once everyone is doing roids no individual player is (relatively) better off.

Travis