[lbo-talk] taking a break from feminism

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 16:20:29 PDT 2006

Doug:

Our Bitchy friend has been kvelling about this book[Harvard Law Prof Janet Halley's "Split Decisions"], and I think I may see if I can get the author on the radio. Any thoughts from the masses?

One of the things I've learned from spending time on B|L acres - something I was only dimly aware of for quite some time - is that feminism consists of a galaxy of nonlinear dynamical systems; one person's "feminism" is, apparently, another's, well, un-feminism, among other contentious possibilities.

No different from other theory-generating, activist and political traditions I suppose (see, for example, any given day here in Dimension LBO).

Anyway, I think an interview with Professor Halley could be quite interesting. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what she's going on about with this "taking a break" business (well, I have a strong sense - and I don't think I agree with what I think she means - but maybe I'm off track, wouldn't be the first time...for example, there was that time in Tokyo with the modded Subaru WRX sti...).

One suggestion: a non-trivial percentage of your questions should come from the dissections and comments being cooked and seasoned over at B|L's House. A lot of heavy lifting is going on over there and, if you get Halley in the studio (or on the phone) it'd be a shame to not put some of that to use.

.d.

What is the brain? If you don't know the answer to that, you've forgotten how to think.

Look Around You: Episode No. 8 ...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/