[lbo-talk] the view from capital

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 13 05:53:30 PDT 2006

joanna wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >Andre Gorz back in the '60s (when he was still a marxist) passes on a
> >delightful anecdote. He was visiting one of the elite technological
> >schools in France. At one point he raised the question, "What do the
> >students learn her that they couldn't learn on the job?" Answer, after
> >some thought, calculus. Next questio, "Would they use calculua in the
> >jobs they were training for?" No.
> >
> Actually, I don't quite follow why it's not worth learning something if
> you're not going to use in your job. Life is bigger than your job, isn't it?

I agree with dd that calculus is a very good thing indeed to learn whether one ever uses it on the job or not. I regret very much not having two or three courses _beyond_ calculus. But the focus here is how the requirement of calculus (or any other particular subject) functions in a capitalist economy.

Carrol