[lbo-talk] education, education, education, education

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Sep 13 09:10:55 PDT 2006

At around 13/9/06 11:21 am, Andy F wrote:
> On 9/13/06, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
>> DD is right though on the other point. Math is taught in the US with
>> the specific purpose of weeding people out, starting with 8th grade
>> algebra....
>
> Why do you think this? Just curious.
> Math has never been my strong point, but I keep coming back to it....

Funnily, where I am from, if you are really bright you studied engineering (or medicine). Dullards like me studied the other stuff -- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or in my case Mathematics. I don't remember much of my calculus training, nor do I use it in daily life or at work. I wish though that amidst all that maths, I had had the option to study other things, like a foreign language (the only one I know is American English ;-)), or art. Or even better, the real world stuff -- like how better to work on my motorcycle! Grass is greener, etc... I guess.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/