[lbo-talk] Tony Judt on the death of liberalism in America

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Sep 13 23:58:44 PDT 2006

For all their faults, the Sandinistas held free and fair multi-party elections both in the mid-eighties and in 1990. They well may have had a Marxist-Leninist influence, but it seems a bit unfair to call them authoritarian with that fact in mind. Also, if I remember correctly, they armed sections of the general population to defend themselves against the Contras, once again going against the authoritarian thesis.

robert wood