[lbo-talk] Niall Ferguson bewails US imperial decline

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Sep 14 08:47:52 PDT 2006

> They couldn't dump huge quantities of US paper, no, but that's
> unlikely to happen. Debt is rarely ever "collected" - big companies
> either roll over their debts and even borrow some more, and countries
> just roll over their debts in perpetuity.
>
> ^^^^^
> CB: I hear this( and with respect to U.S. domestic debt too ?), and
> I never
> quite understand it. Doesn't this mean in effect that the lender
> has given
> the borrower money ? A gift instead of a loan ? In the domestic
> case it
> would mean the lending institutions are giving the "people" money. > I
must be missing something.

Debt is endlessly self-renewing. Keep paying interest, roll over the principal as needed, take out fresh loans. If a company hits a wall, creditors can take losses - and countries too. But those are extraordinary events. It's not a gift - if you add in interest payments, debtors repay their loans many times over.

Doug ^^^^^

CB; Sorry for being thick on this. So, is it that _eventually_ the debt _is_ collected ( except for a small percentage of bad debts) ?

Is or will the U.S. pay its debts to China, Japan et al. many times over ?