[lbo-talk] Amnesty Report: Hezbollah War Crimes

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Thu Sep 14 10:12:49 PDT 2006

Fair enough Doug, but the argument that Hezbollah's attack were war crimes would also lead one to the conclusion that the British bombing campaign in WWII was a war crime (night bombing, which reduced bombing accuracy so that the target became civilian populations and nothing but). US daytime bombing was only a bit more accurate. There is a serious case to be made that these WERE war crimes. Elizabeth Anscombe did so very effectively. Juan Cole has argued that Hezbollah's missile attacks were war crimes from the very first. But Cole also never ignored the massive disproportion between the two sides, and never ignored who was the aggressor. Amnesty's (and HRW's) evenhandedness stinks. Michael McIntyre