[lbo-talk] Tony Judt on the death of liberalism in America

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 10:16:04 PDT 2006

--- joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> This is infantile.

Chuck has a definiton of "authoritarian" that perhaps is idiosyncratic, but I would not describe it as infantile.

I will not try to guess what Chuck's sentiments are, but I suspect he might agree with the following by John Holloway (I certainly do):

"It is absurd to think that I might consider Chávez, or Fidel, or Alex Callinicos or Atilio Borón or indeed yourself as the enemy. The fact that I do not agree with someone does not mean that I regard them as my enemy. What I am opposed to is particular forms of social organisation – capital, the state, value, money: any form that negates our humanity. If I go to Venezuela, it will be neither with enemies nor idols in mind but to argue in what I assume will be an atmosphere of mutual respect about the forms of revolutionary organisation and their impact, and to learn. I take the zapatista maxim preguntando caminamos (asking we walk) to be a fundamental principle of revolutionary organisation. It should be clear that I have absolutely no intention of going to Venezuela to attack the Bolivarian revolution. I support any process of anti-capitalist revolution, though I certainly think it is important to discuss and question and criticise and question again its forms of action – this is surely what revolution means."