[lbo-talk] Amnesty Report: Hezbollah War Crimes

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Sep 14 12:47:14 PDT 2006

>Next we need an exposure of the war crimes committed by the prisoners at
>Buchenwald.

Wow, nice metaphor (not that you are reading this). How is it that a state actor like Hezbollah, which already has some control of national armies--in addition to its own--but wants more, gets absolved from the death it caused its "own" and other people--that is, when it's not getting valorized as the second coming of, I don't know who, the Sandanistas?--while a state like Israel, which also really likes killing people, gets likened to the Nazis and all sorts of other horrible things? How does an alleged antimoralist arrive at these conclusions without a serious measure of moralizing?

Your analogy assumes a pretty Orientalist view of "the" Lebanese people; namely, that Hezbollah and the Lebanese are identical--they are both "prisoners." So for you, Lebanon's citizens have no agency themselves; they are merely the appendage of whatever state or state-in-waiting you decide gets to represent them.