[lbo-talk] 9/11 nuttery going mainstream

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Sep 14 12:15:33 PDT 2006

At around 14/9/06 12:21 am, Chuck wrote:
> Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
>> Or let's put it differently. Do you truly think that those who
>> believe in all of those 9/11 conspiracy stories are more racists than
>> society U.S. society at large? Maybe your point is then that no
>> matter what USers believe it will have some kind of racist
>> underpinning. Bush's belief's have a racist underpinning and so does
>> Ted Kennedy's. And no doubt there is some sort of unthinking racism
>> in you and me also. So it is possible that some kind of racism
>> predisposes us to certain ways of thinking. But I don't find that it
>> is any more prominent among 9/11 storytellers, than among the rest of us.
>
> Listmembers are tired of this subject, as am I, so I won't be responding
> to your questions.

I am not tired of it at all, and I think Jerry offers yet another angle (and a very good one) of criticism on the "racism" technique of discrediting 9/11 "conspiracy theories". To some extent, what is at stake here is the larger issue of the syntax and limits of debate, especially *within* a group.

Jerry, as always thanks for your honest response (to my earlier message).

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/