[lbo-talk] Okay so maybe camping out in the Zocalo isn't such a great idea...

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Sep 15 15:32:13 PDT 2006

>I agree, but if the Mexican economy has been as ravaged as US and
>Mexican leftists say it has, then why isn't there more discontent?
>The PRD is hardly radical, and the other 2/3 represent votes for
>some quite conservative parties.

The turnout for the election was 60%. I read that as at least 40% discontentment, which is more than any of the parties got. And if elections in the Mexico are like the ones in the U.S.--which I suspect they are (I can't find any polling data), probably even more so--that 40% is disproportionately poor and disenfrachised.