[lbo-talk] Okay so maybe camping out in the Zocalo isn't such a great idea...

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Sep 15 16:35:24 PDT 2006

>>The turnout for the election was 60%. I read that as at least 40%
>>discontentment, which is more than any of the parties got.
>
>But AMLO is no John Kerry, is he?

No, but he didn't seem to inspire any great passion either, since turnout in 2006 was five percentage points lower than it was in 2000.

Anecdote alert! Before the elections, my wife was talking to one of the cleaning crew at the office in which she works, a single woman who is the main source of financial support for her daughters and extended family in Mexico. When my wife asked her who she be voting for, the woman said no one, that they were all "bad," and even the ones who might be good couldn't get anything done in that government anyway.

This, Mike, is what I was getting at when I said that nonvoting is a sign of discontent. It might not be the expression of a perfect consciousness that we prefer here on LBO, but it certainly is a political statement, and not a very conservative one either, methinks.

Eric