[lbo-talk] Ballardian

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 15:36:23 PDT 2006

from an interview with J.G. Ballard, whose new novel Kingdom Come has just gone on sale:

Ballard has the rare distinction of appearing as an adjective ("Ballardian") in the Collins English Dictionary. Does he - as it states - deal in dystopias? Ballard cannot resist a characteristic inversion: "I've decided to recast myself as Utopian. I like this landscape of the M25 and Heathrow. I like airfreight offices and rent-a-car bureaus. I like dual carriageways. When I see a CCTV camera, I know I'm safe. What I hate," Ballard leans closer to the tape-recorder with a smile, "is what I call heritage London. This is a new hate of mine. Heritage London is not just Bloomsbury, Whitehall, the Tower of London. It's really middle-class London - Hampstead, Notting Hill, wherever you find these areas held together by a dinner-party culture."

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article1587838.ece