[lbo-talk] Okay so maybe camping out in the Zocalo isn't such a great idea...

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 18:17:04 PDT 2006

http://www.google.com/search?q=john+judis+non-voters+piven Q: The non-voting majority, and what explains this why, I mean the apathy, the indifference, the feeling that (inaudible) and the role of money (multiple conversations; inaudible)? LEONE: Either or both of those would be very helpful. JUDIS: I'll do money and Ruy do (multiple conversations; inaudible)? LEONE: For the mic money and non-voting majority. Go ahead, do money. JUDIS: The answer is yes, (laughter) (multiple conversations; inaudible) to vote. The answer was yes to both. Money – the fact is the Republicans have an inherent advantage in terms of money, and because of their proximity to business. So really what we have to be arguing in a sense is that the shift is going to be so profound in the country that it will favor Democrats in spite of that kind of inherent advantage that the Republicans have. Q: Do you really believe that? JUDIS: I believe that it's significant enough, sure. TEIXEIRA: OK, in terms of the issue of turnout, I have studied this issue fairly extensively, and as far as we can determine in terms of why so many people don't vote, it doesn't necessarily have a lot to do with rejecting the system the way it is or feeling like the policies of either the parties are class biased. It's a general sense that as you say, politics doesn't have much to do with me, a certain lack of interest and involvement in politics, lack of awareness of what's going on, there's just lots and lots more people than there used to be who just can't get it together to follow politics enough to have enough motivation to show up at the voting booth. And that's why you have increasing numbers of non-voters even as the process of voting itself has actually become quite a bit easier. FUCHS: Can I just comment on that quickly? TEIXEIRA: I just want to finish my comment. But that said, and even though the party of non-voters has been disproportionally contributed to by poor and low education people, most simulations and analyses that have looked at the effect of this non-voting suggest it contributes a pro-Republican bias to the voting pool, but it's not a huge pro-Republican bias. It depends on the election, but you know in a close election, any close election, if everybody turned out, on average it would typically favor the Democrats enough to maybe tip that election, but most elections aren't that close. So you can't use the extent of non-voting to explain much about macro average political outcomes, and that's why you can't explain the old conservative republican majority on the basis of non voting; and the new democratic majority will arise in our view despite the level of non voting--maybe it will hold it back by six months or something.

LEONE: Esther on the non-voters? FUCHS: I was just going to say quickly, Francis Piven did a revision of her book on why Americans don't vote and she argues something somewhat different than that which it has a significant impact on the ability of the Democratic Party to create a majority. And non voting is really an indictor in my mind of the failure of parties, and the decline of parties because there is no intermediary mechanism to bring people into the electorate, the machines with their dysfunction's really did pull in new immigrants, did incorporate people into the political process, in some ways taught citizenship even if it was related to patronage. And people learned the habit and the value of voting and all of the public opinion data – are very strong and they're very, I think, unnerving, and I think Katrina's point the party of non- voters is a very important one because people are more and more disaffected from the political system in the sense that they think it – voting has nothing to do with making change in anything that's important in their life. I think that's a very important trend in American politics that neither party is addressing right now in any serious way. LEONE: Thank you all very much and thank you for (applause).