[lbo-talk] where to report mail crooks ?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 00:10:19 PDT 2006

Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp> wrote:

> I just got a mail pretending to come from Paypal, asking me to
> confirm my account info.
>
> The site I went to is obviously very suspicious but I have no idea
> where to report them.

As others have suggested, check Paypals' site.

Consider calling your local or national cops' fraud squad. This is an obvious attempt to trick people into giving passwords that can be used to rob them, so some law enforcement agency ought to be interested. Lord knows which one, or how to find them, though.

Also check whether your own system admins have some mechanism set up to report such messages, perhaps filter them to protect other users, On Gmail, for example, there's a menu item "report phishing". I use it, but am not certain what it does. Warn other users who have the same message? Notify admins know so they can improve the filters? Automatically change the filters?

A page on how to track spammers and get them disconnected: http://spam.abuse.net/userhelp/

-- Sandy Harris Quanzhou, Fujian, China