[lbo-talk] Okay so maybe camping out in the Zocalo isn't such a great idea...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 16 13:15:57 PDT 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 9:07 PM, mike larkin wrote:

> I don't think so. Most nonvoters I've met are pretty
> happy, well adjusted folks. They don't vote because
> they're not interested in politics. Period.

While this is mostly true, that level of detachment and lack of interest didn't arise spontaneously. 19th century visitors to the US remarked on how engaged people were in politics - where'd that go? Restrictive electoral laws, the dominance of money, deepening alienation from social life, and a raft of other similar things produced that "apathy."

Doug