[lbo-talk] Okay so maybe camping out in the Zocalo isn't such a great idea...

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Sep 16 18:16:47 PDT 2006

At around 16/9/06 4:15 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2006, at 9:07 PM, mike larkin wrote:
>
>> I don't think so. Most nonvoters I've met are pretty
>> happy, well adjusted folks. They don't vote because
>> they're not interested in politics. Period.
>
> While this is mostly true, that level of detachment and lack of interest
> didn't arise spontaneously. 19th century visitors to the US remarked on
> how engaged people were in politics - where'd that go? Restrictive
> electoral laws, the dominance of money, deepening alienation from social
> life, and a raft of other similar things produced that "apathy."

I spent a good part of the afternoon as a phone volunteer, at the request of a neighbour, for MoveOn calling people in suburban Philly for Joe Sestak (Democrat). The above seems to reflect the mood of the "undecided"s. Most of them were basically turned off of the process. One wondered that even if things change without Bush/GOP (which he doubted) he was still unsure that his own life would change for the better.

One guy heard my first sentence and said that I needed to fucking learn English and once I had done so. ;-).

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/