[lbo-talk] Iran Gets Strong Backing from Developing-World Leaders in Nuclear Row

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:48:06 PDT 2006

As expected, but it's still important. -- Yoshie

<http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2006/September/middleeast_September374.xml&section=middleeast> Iran gets strong backing from developing-world leaders in nuclear row (AFP)

HAVANA - Iran drew strong backing in the tense dispute over its nuclear program Saturday, as developing-world leaders agreed at a summit in Havana that Teheran had the right to use atomic energy.

National leaders of the 118-state Non Aligned Movement (NAM) adopted a statement in which they "reaffirmed the basic and inalienable right of all states to develop research, production and use of atomic energy for peaceful purposes."

They also said "the only way to resolve the issue is to resume negotiations without any preconditions."

"They recognized the need for a comprehensive multilaterally negotiated instrument, prohibiting attacks, or threat of attacks on nuclear facilities devoted to peaceful uses of nuclear energy."

The statement was an updated version of a document adopted at a NAM ministerial meeting in Malaysia in May.

The heads of state and government pointed out that the International Atomic Energy Agency found that all nuclear material declared by Iran had been accounted for, and urged Iran to continue cooperating fully with the IAEA.

They warned that any attack or threat against a nuclear facility used for peaceful purposes posed serious risks and was a violation of international law.

The United States is pushing for sanctions to force Teheran to stop producing enriched uranium, which can be used both for both nuclear power and atomic weapons.

The NAM leaders called for a negotiated settlement to the dispute.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who attended the summit, had suggested direct talks with George W. Bush, but the US president dismissed the idea.

"No, I'm not going to meet with him," Bush said on Friday. "I have made it clear to the Iranian regime that we will sit down with the Iranians once they verifiably suspend their enrichment program, and I meant what I said."

At the Havana meeting, Ahmadinejad appealed to his counterparts to help "counter attempts to prevent Iran from developing its peaceful nuclear activity."

He said the real danger came from Washington.

"Why should people live under the nuclear threat of the United States?" he asked Friday at the two-day summit, which brought together more than 55 national leaders and dozens of ministers.

The statement adopted on Saturday reiterates calls for the establishment of a zone free of nuclear weapons in the Middle East, and demands that Israel accede to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty until that can be achieved.

Several leaders spoke out in defense of Iran at the summit, including including Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, a staunch foe of the United States. Following the gathering, Ahmadinejad was to travel to oil-rich Venezuela, a fellow member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>