[lbo-talk] Pope "deeply sorry" about reaction to quotes in Muslimworld

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Sun Sep 17 11:16:42 PDT 2006

Note the Pope following the by now hegemonic form of "apology" for public figures -- from Rove to Bush to Dems -- you don't apologize for substance, you imply that people who are hurt by what you had to say are loonies, and the problem is not the substance of what you had to say but rather the fact that some people are distressed for what you suggest are idiosyncratic reasons. And you distance yourself from 14th century material you have quoted favorably, saying you were only quoting, not taking sides.

So it's the Pope as Bush et al.

Jesse

----- Original Message ----- From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> To: "LBO Talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:58 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Pope "deeply sorry" about reaction to quotes in Muslimworld

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9868764/detail.html?treets=phi&tid=2655155299813&t ml=phi_12pm&tmi=phi_12pm_1_10550209172006&ts=H