[lbo-talk] Center right wins in Sweden

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 19:22:21 PDT 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5353092.stm

It does not look good, indeed. If this happened in Sweden, we are looking for years of Republican rule here.

Back in the 1970s Jurgen Habermas argued in _Legitimation crisis_, AFAIR, that the provision of welfare services is the only source of legitmacy of politcial power in the modern state, but it will not last in that role for very long, hence the imminent legitimation crisis.

It looks like he was prophetic - people start looking beyond "bread and butter" social democracy - and in this new brave "post-material" world the right seems the only game in town. It makes me ask, however, what will it take for the tables to turn around? Will it suffice for social democracy (and left in general) to come up with an appealing alternative? Or will the current worldwide drift to the right will continue until a major disaster occurs?

Wojtek