[lbo-talk] The need for Mathematics

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Sun Sep 17 23:17:47 PDT 2006

ravi wrote:

> An off-list message from Jerry Monaco made me think of a recent post
> from a list member advising all to learn some mathematics.

There's an interesting math book out there written from a Marxist perspective. It was even lauded in the US, despite written by (high profile) Soviet mathematicians:

Aleksandrov, Kolmogorov, Lavrent'ev, _Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning_ (ISBN 0486409163) http://bookshelved.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MathematicsItsContentMethodsAndMeaning

Also, I highly recommend Alan Kay's keynote talk "The Computer Revolution hasn't happened yet." He's something like the Chomsky of computing, and a highly entertaining speaker. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2950949730059754521

Tayssir