[lbo-talk] Leo Strauss (was: Anselm Jappe)

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Sep 18 05:05:45 PDT 2006

I wouldn't want to encourage anybody to read Leo Strauss, even Angelus omnilecturus.

Strauss was the founder and guru of a cult of right-wing lumpen-intellectuals, headquartered at the very right-wing University of Chicago, where I served a term in graduate school. The Straussians were a very silly bunch, given to Anglophilistine high-table mannerisms and prating about Plato. But they had quite a sense of mission and esprit de corps -- sort of a secular Opus Dei for right-wing unreligious Jews.

The esoteric/exoteric distinction was very important to the Straussians, along with the sense of being a secret elite. This being the United States, where fantasy and reality are carbureted into an explosive mist, the Straussians did go on to form a not-insignificant element of the ideological cadre of what became known as "neoconservatism."

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org

"You have heretofore read public sentiment in your newspapers, that live by falsehood and excitement; and the quicker you seek for truth in other quarters, the better." --W.T. Sherman