[lbo-talk] Anselm Jappe

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 18 06:09:46 PDT 2006

Angelus Novus wrote and posted:

Jappe's books is a fine introduction to the "Wertkritik" of the Krisis and Exit! groups. Hopefully an English translation will be forthcoming. I was surprised to find this review of it.

http://www.newsandletters.org/Issues/2006/Aug-Sept/Jappe_Aug-Sept_06.htm

"Jappe says that it is of primary importance today to make use of Marx's work because it criticizes the basic categories of capitalist society and is not simply concerned with distribution. Nor did Marx envision applying his theory of value to non-capitalist societies....

MB

I'm concerned with distribution, because control over distribution is *power* over my product. Right now, the working class, including yours truly, don't have control over production or the power that control implies.

*******************************

More Jappe via "News and Letters":

Jappe makes use of the notion that Marx conceived of abstract labor and the value created by it not as material and concrete entities but as societal abstractions.

MB

Marx conceived of how one could strip the abstraction (exchange-value) from the material (use-value).

Jappe via "N&L" again:

On the other hand, Jappe considers most of Marx's empirical work " obsolete" for our times.

MB

Workers create Capital; they don't own or control the social product of their labour.

Regards,

Mike B)

Read "Penguins in Bondage": http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------- Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060918/8f56e728/attachment.htm>