[lbo-talk] In Defense of Pope Benedict

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 08:59:46 PDT 2006

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 10:51 AM, mike larkin quoted a
> defense of Rome:
>
> > interplay of faith and reason
>
> Isn't that nonsensical? As I remember my youthful
> Catholic training,
> the point was the superordination of faith over
> reason. What's
> reasonable about transubstantiation?
>
> Doug

He's refering I think to the very long Catholic attempt to construct a rational theological structure explicating the faith on grounds drawn from Hellenistic philosophy, based at present mostly on St. Thomas (and some other stuff -- JPII was a phenomenologist).

You know perfectly well I'm sure that transubstantiation is explained using the Aristotelian categories of matter and form. (Does this go back to Thomas? I think so -- Aristotle was looked on suspiciously previous to him, and even a bit after.)