[lbo-talk] India's GINI Index

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 18 13:20:12 PDT 2006

On Sep 17, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I was wondering why India's GINI index in the UNDP Human Development
> Reports (32.5, compared to Iran's 43.0 and Venezuela's 49.1 at
> <http://hdr.undp.org/statistics/data/indicators.cfm?x=148&y=2&z=1>)
> looked so good -- too good to be true! -- but this article solves the
> mystery.

Except that it doesn't reveal what the income gini is for India, or the consumption ginis for Iran or Venezuela, so we still don't know the countries' relative standings. The World Bank's Branko Milanovic had urban India's gini at .345 in 1993, and its rural gini at .287.

Iran's income gini is abysmal, however.

Doug