[lbo-talk] Center right wins in Sweden

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 08:38:56 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Sep 19, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>>The reason why what happened in Sweden (or what is going on in Hungary
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5359250.stm) is indicative of broader
>>popular sentiments worldwide is that the Left got bogged down in the
>>hundred
>>year old bread and butter mantra, and does not have much to offer in the
>>"identity and values" department. The bread and butter mantra simply
>>lost
>>most of their traction, people want to hear about who they are and what
>>their place in the world is - and the Left ceded that market to the Right
>>and religions.
>
>But that's not what the Swedish election was about - the Moderates
>promised to make modest changes to the welfare state in order to reduce
>unemployment.

Moreover, the values that motivate Swedes are in every sense foreign to the US (and probably the UK). "Lagom," a communitarian concept central to Swedish identity, is a word that has -- as Wikipedia needlessly points out -- "no direct English equivalent." Other details:

---------------------------------------

The Lexin Swedish-English dictionary defines lagom as "enough, sufficient, adequate, just right." Lagom is also widely translated as "in moderation," "in balance," "optimal," "reasonable," and "average." But whereas words like "sufficient" and "average" suggest some degree of abstinence, scarcity, or failure, lagom decidedly carries the connotation of perfection or appropriateness. The archetypical Swedish proverb "Lagom är bäst," literally "Lagom is best," is translated as "Enough is as good as a feast" in the Lexin dictionary. ...

The value of "just enough" can be contrasted to the value of "more is better." It is viewed favorably as a sustainable alternative to the hoarding extremes of consumerism: "Why do I need more than two? Det är [It is] lagom" (AtKisson, 2000). It can also be viewed as repressive: "You're not supposed to be too good, or too rich" (Gustavsson, 1995). Lagom has been fingered as a challenge to economic growth and the reason for Sweden's apparent lack of outward patriotism.

In a single word, lagom is said to describe the basis of the Swedish national psyche, one of consensus and equality. In recent times Sweden has developed greater tolerance for risk and failure as a result of severe recession in the early 1990s. Nonetheless, it is still widely considered ideal to be modest, avoid extremes, and seek optimal solutions. "My aunt used to hold out her closed fist and say, 'How much can you get in this hand? It's much easier to get something in this [open] hand" (Silberman, 2001). "It's the idea that for everything there is the perfect amount: The perfect, and best, amount of food, space, laughter and sadness."

The concept of lagom is similar to that of the Middle Path in Eastern philosophy, and Aristotle's "golden mean" of moderation in Western philosophy.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagom>

In short, "lagom" sums up everything that US culture isn't.

Carl

"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

-- Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz